Skip to content
The Arctic Ocean
Why is this an issue for ACOPS?
- The Arctic Ocean is a bellwether for the planet – and increasing relevant for vital UK interests
- Most rapid changes, indeed regime shifts, are being experienced as the Arctic’s climate shifts to a new state
- The Arctic Ocean is now opening up to human uses and new pressure raise new challenges
- ACOPS is an Observer to the Arctic Council and attended Ministerial Meetings in 2015 and 2017.
- Lord Hunt is a Member of the House of Lords Select Committee on the Arctic
- ACOPS regularly attends sessions convened by the UK All Party Parliamentary Group for the Polar Regions, formed in 2011 to inform Parliamentarians on all matters relating to the Arctic and Antarctic Regions
- ACOPS also attends meetings of the Arctic Council on the protection of the arctic marine environment (PAME)
- During the Finnish Chairmanship of the Arctic Council (2017-2019), ACOPS will support implementation of the Arctic Council Fairbanks Declaration.
- Subject to resources, ACOPS will contribute to the work of the Arctic Council PAME Working Group, including taking a specific interest in initiatives for sustainable shipping
- ACOPS will continue to interact with APPG and attend relevant events