Skip to content
The Arctic Ocean
Why it matters
- The Arctic Ocean is a bellwether for the planet – and increasing relevant for vital UK interests.
- Most rapid changes, indeed regime shifts, are being experienced as the Arctic’s climate shifts to a new state.
- The Arctic Ocean is now opening up to human uses and new pressure raise new challenges.
- ACOPS is an Observer to the Arctic Council and attends Ministerial Meetings and meetings of the Arctic Council on the protection of the arctic marine environment (PAME), resource permitting.
- Lord Hunt is a Member of the House of Lords Select Committee on the Arctic
- ACOPS regularly attends sessions convened by the UK All Party Parliamentary Group for the Polar Regions, formed in 2011 to inform Parliamentarians on all matters relating to the Arctic and Antarctic Regions.
- ACOPS supports the 2017 Arctic Council Fairbanks Declaration (here). To cite a few elements, it emphasizes , the vulnerability of Arctic marine ecosystems, the environmental and socio-economic impact of climate change, the value of the circumpolar biodiversity monitoring program and the importance of strengthening the role of the Arctic Council.